Gummy Bear Breast Implants at Belmont Plastic Surgery in Washington, DC
For years, breast augmentation (augmentation mammoplasty) procedures using the silicone or the traditional saline breast implant have helped women achieve the beautiful, natural-looking breasts they desire. And, as the years have passed, advancements in the design of these implants have continued to improve. Although every implant has a silicone shell, it is the filler inside that varies. One of the most recent advancements in breast implant design involves the consistency of the gel-like materials that are housed within the silicone shells. This new material is thicker than previous gels. This consistency is beneficial because it provides beautiful, natural looking results and, in the event of a tear in the silicone shell, the gel-like material remains intact. When one of these implants is cut in half, it maintains its shape: For this reason, these implants are frequently referred to as gummy bear implants.
Gummy Bear Implants Are Available Near Washington, DC: A New Generation of Breast Enhancement Appliances
Some women in and around Washington, DC, worry about the safety of the silicone breast implants being used today. These concerns are understandable, which is why the only implants that Dr. Jules Feledy offers at the Belmont Plastic Surgery are those that have been approved for use by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA).
The Problem with the Traditional Silicone Breast Implants Was That They Consisted of a Liquid Silicone
Previously, silicone implants consisted of a silicone shell that contained a thinner silicone gel than the gels that are used in the implants of today. The problem with the thinner gel is that if one of these traditional silicone implants ruptured or began to leak, the gel could exit the implant’s pocket and travel throughout the body. Therefore, in 1992, due to concerns related to this potential issue, the FDA decided to halt the use of these silicone implants until more research could be conducted. In 2006, the FDA approved the new version of the silicone breast implant. Currently, there are five different kinds of silicone implants that have been approved by the FDA, one of which is the revolutionary form-stable cohesive-gel implant.
What Is the Difference Between Saline, Traditional Silicone and Gummy Bear Breast Implants?
Saline implants – these implants are filled with sterile salt water. They tend to make the breast appear rounder than gummy bear implants do. In the event of a leak, the saline implant collapses and the sterile salt water is absorbed by the body and expelled naturally. Since Dr. Feledy places the shell for the saline implant within its pocket before it is filled, the incision for saline breast implants is typically smaller than that which is used for pre-filled silicone implants.
Saline implants provide a uniform firmness, shape and feel. Also, when saline implants are used, Dr. Jules Feledy can easily change the size of the implants, without the need for another surgery. This is possible because saline implants have a valve that allows the surgeon to access the saline within the shell using a small needle. According to the FDA, saline implants are permitted for use in women who are at least 18 years old. Today, due to surgical technique variations and modified training paradigms, complaints associated with saline implants are relatively low; however, the most common complaint received from patients is that saline implants do not feel as realistic as their silicone counterparts do.
Silicone implants – these implants consist of a silicone shell filled with silicone gel. Many patients state that the gel-filled implants feel more natural than saline implants do. Silicone breast implants, including the gummy bear implants are soft and doughy. The feel of these silicone implants sets them apart from the saline option.
Gummy bear breast implants – these form-stable cohesive-gel implants maintain their shape even in the event of a leak. The gel inside this type of implant is thicker than that which is used in the more traditional silicone gel implants. Whereas, other breast implants are circular, form-stable cohesive-gel implants are anatomically shaped, so they are shaped like a teardrop. Form-stable cohesive-gel implants have a tapered top, offering the patient some filling within the upper pole of the breast; however, there will be more projection and a slight curvature at the bottom of the breast. These characteristics help the implant mimic the look of a natural breast.
The pros of gummy bear implants:
- Due to their semi-solid interior, form-stable cohesive-gel implants rarely leak.
- Gummy bear breast implants are shaped like a teardrop, which contributes to its stability.
- Additional cross-linking within this implant results in a firmer outer shell. The ability of the gel to stay together is the characteristic that has earned the implant its gummy bear breast implant nickname.
- These implants create a specific shape; therefore, they usually will not move once they are placed under the muscle (i.e., submuscularly) or beneath the breast tissue (i.e., subglandularly).
- The risk of capsular contracture decreases when form-stable cohesive-gel implants are used during an augmentation mammoplasty. Capsular contracture refers to a complication in which the body creates excess scar tissue. This tissue envelopes the implant. When this happens, the breast becomes hard and looks misshapen. While this can be corrected with another surgical procedure, women who choose form-stable cohesive-gel implants are less likely to develop this condition.
- The thickness of the gel within the form-stable cohesive-gel implant makes it more likely to maintain its shape than the other types of silicone and saline implants.
- Sometimes, saline implants will fold, which puts a strain on the shell. Since gummy bear breast implants consist of cohesive gel, their interior is semi-solid, which reduces the likelihood of the implant folding and rippling. The tight molecular bonds of the cohesive gel are what keeps the silicone shell from collapsing; thus, preventing rippling and folding.
- In the event of a rupture, if any gel does escape the shell, it will not migrate very far.
- Form-stable cohesive-gel implants offer patients natural-looking results.
- Due to the thicker consistency of the gel used in gummy bear implants, women who are concerned with rupture should consider choosing these implants.
The cons of gummy bear breast implants:
- Unless an individual needs breast reconstruction, the patient must be at least 22 years old to be eligible for an augmentation mammoplasty using gummy bear implants.
- Form-stable cohesive-gel implants are more expensive than the other types of saline and silicone implants that are available.
- Patients with form-stable cohesive-gel implants are required to have an MRI screening every two years. During this screening, the doctor will be making sure that the form-stable cohesive-gel implants are intact.
- If, at some point, a gummy bear breast implant rotates within its pocket, due to its teardrop shape, the breast will look odd; therefore, another surgical procedure may be required to adjust the implant.
- When compared to the incision required for the placement of traditional saline implants, gummy bear implants require that Dr. Jules Feledy creates a slightly longer incision.
Why Do Women in and Around Washington, DC, Decide to Have Breast Augmentation Procedures?
A breast augmentation can provide a woman who is unhappy with the size, shape and/or contour of her breasts with the breasts she has always wanted.
A woman may choose to have a breast augmentation to:
- Restore the volume of her breasts following pregnancy and/or breastfeeding.
- Address breasts that are slightly disproportionate in their shape and size.
- Enhance her silhouette.
- Increase the size of her breasts after losing a significant amount of weight.
- Attain a breast-contour foundation following disfigurement, or breast removal resulting from treatments for breast cancer.
- Improve the shape of her breasts.
- Address breasts that no longer feel firm. When the breasts are no longer firm, they tend to sag. For this reason, Dr. Feledy may recommend that patients with this problem, consider having a breast augmentation with a lift (mastopexy). When performed together, a breast augmentation and a lift can provide the patient with beautiful, youthful-looking breasts.
- Improve the way a disfigured breast looks or to have Dr. Jules Feledy create breasts that are missing due to trauma and/or a congenital abnormality.
Who Should Consider Gummy Bear Breast Implants in Washington, DC?
A woman who would like to have surgery to increase the size of her breasts, but would rather avoid the rounded look achieved with traditional breast implants, may want to consider the anatomically-shaped form-stable cohesive-gel implant. Furthermore, due to the decrease in the likelihood of implant rippling, women who have minimal breast tissue are typically good candidates for a breast augmentation using the form-stable cohesive-gel implants, including patients who have previously had a breast augmentation. Dr. Feledy helps his patients decide which implant will meet their treatment goals the best.
The Mommy Makeover, Defined
Many women who are interested in having breast augmentations with form-stable cohesive-gel implants are mothers, which is why Belmont Plastic Surgery offers a procedure package that is referred to as a Mommy Makeover. When a woman decides to have a Mommy Makeover, Dr. Jules Feledy performs multiple procedures during the same surgical session. Typically, the procedures performed during a Mommy Makeover relate directly to the body changes that occur during pregnancy, after breastfeeding and/or weight fluctuations. Patients who would like to learn more about the various procedures that can be grouped together during a Mommy Makeover should ask Dr. Feledy about these options during their initial consultation.
A Complimentary Initial Consultation for an Augmentation Mammoplasty Using Gummy Bear Implants
At Belmont Plastic Surgery, patients are encouraged to ask questions because Dr. Jules Feledy and his medical staff believe that patients who become familiar with the various aspects of the procedure(s) they are considering will have the knowledge they need to decide which type of plastic surgery they would like performed. Of course, Dr. Feledy is always available to help patients as they make their final decisions in regards to the surgical procedures that will serve them the best.
Fear of the unknown can cause an individual to feel anxious and Dr. Jules Feledy wants his patients to feel good about the positive changes they are about to make; therefore, to ensure the patient is familiar with her upcoming procedure, Dr. Feledy clearly explains what the patient can expect during surgery and as she recovers.
When patients arrive for their consultation, they need to have information regarding:
- Any previous surgical procedures.
- Allergies to latex and/or medications.
- Her last breast biopsy or mammogram results (when applicable).
- Chronic health issues, including hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and/or asthma, etc.
- Breast cancer, since it can be genetic, Dr. Jules Feledy needs to know if it runs in her family.
- Recreational drug use, alcoholic beverage consumption and her use of nicotine-containing products, including cigarettes and vaping.
- The medications (over-the-counter and prescription) that she takes on a regular basis. Patients should have the name of the medication, dosage, number of times taken each day as well as the reason for the medication on hand. Some of Dr. Feledy’s patients find it helpful to write down the list before their consultation. Preparing a written list ahead of time that can be placed in the patient’s chart makes the initial consultation move along quicker. Any vitamins and/or herbal supplements that are taken regularly must also be included in the list. While information about the vitamins and herbal supplements a patient takes may seem unimportant, this information is vital to the safety of the patient because certain medications, vitamins and herbal supplements can thin the blood, which increases the likelihood of excessive bleeding during surgery and thereafter.
Dr. Feledy will evaluate the patient’s breasts during this consultation. He may take measurements to note the size and location of the nipple-areolar complex, which is the term used when referring to the nipple and the dark circle of skin surrounding it. The size and shape of each breast as well as the proportion of the patient’s natural bustline to her hips. If the patient decides that she would like to move forward with an augmentation mammoplasty, Dr. Jules Feledy will create her a custom-designed surgical plan. He may also order lab work and request that the patient have a mammogram before her breast augmentation with gummy bear breast implants.
Your Pre-Surgical Appointment
Determining the size implant that suits your body the best requires finding photos of women who have a body type similar to yours. The before and after gallery on the Belmont Plastic Surgery website may be helpful, so Dr. Feledy encourages patients to take some time to review these photos. If you find a picture of a woman elsewhere, please save it to your phone, or print them out. These photos are very useful because they give Dr. Jules Feledy and his medical staff a visualization of what you want your breasts to look like.
During your presurgical appointment, you will be able to try on a variety of implant sizers. These sizers make it easy to see how your breasts will affect your overall body. When arriving for your presurgical appointment, please remember to bring a solid color fitted T-shirt.
A Breast Augmentation Near Washington, DC, with Gummy Bear Breast Implants
A breast augmentation using gummy bear implants takes approximately two hours. Since anesthesia is required for this procedure, patients will not be able to drive after their surgery; therefore, patients need to bring a licensed driver with them. The person a patient chooses to drive her to and from her procedure must be someone that she trusts. Also, Dr. Jules Feledy does not want his patients to be at home alone on the night following their procedure. For these reasons, patients need to find a driver and a caregiver for the day of surgery.
The use of public transportation or ride-sharing services after a procedure requiring any type of sedation is not permitted. Dr. Feledy created this policy to ensure the safety of his patients following their procedures.
Pre-Op: What to Expect
Dr. Feledy will visit the patient as she is being prepped for her surgery. He uses a surgical marker to draw patterns on the patient’s breasts. These patterns help to guide him as he performs the breast augmentation with form-stable cohesive-gel implants. Please feel free to ask Dr. Feledy or a member of his medical staff questions at this time.
Breast implant surgery is performed while the patient sleeps; therefore, general anesthesia is used.
The size of the implant is determined at the pre-surgical appointment.
Gummy bear implants are only available in the anatomical shape.
Due to their teardrop shape, these implants are textured.
The inframammary incision is used for the gummy bear breast implant. This incision is created at the bottom crease of the breast.
The incisions are closed using surgical tape, skin adhesive and/or sutures. A surgical bra or bandage may be placed over the breasts. This ensures they remain in the best position possible as the patient heals.
A Breast Augmentation Using Gummy Bear Breast Implants Near Washington, DC
The method used for the insertion and positioning of the form-stable cohesive-gel implant depends on the implant type, body type and surgeon recommendations. The method Dr. Feledy uses depends on the type of implant and the amount of enlargement the patient desires. Dr. Jules Feledy carefully centers the patient’s implants beneath her nipples. As time passes, the incision lines fade. The quality of a scar depends greatly on whether the patient followed the directions regarding her scar. For example, a scar should not be exposed to UV light until it has healed; otherwise, the patient risks darkening the scars, which can be permanent.
Potential Complications and Risks Associated with Breast Implant Surgery
As with any surgery, complications can arise; however, choosing an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Jules Feledy can decrease the likelihood of a complication and/or future problem.
Surgical risks associated with breast implant surgery include:
- Anesthesia risks.
- Changes in the sensation of the nipple.
- Changes in breast sensation.
- Implant rupture/leakage.
- Poor scarring.
- Incorrect implant positioning.
- Capsular Contracture
- Fluid accumulation.
- Persistent pain.
- Wrinkling of the skin that is over the implant.
- The need for revision surgery.
Recovering After a Breast Augmentation with Gummy Bear Breast Implants
Every patient is unique and heals at her own pace. The general guidelines below are designed to help you as you recover.
Patients who do not have a strenuous job can return to work as long as they are not required to lift anything weighing 10 pounds or more. Most patients are able to return to their normal activities within five days of their procedure.
As soon as the patient can turn the steering wheel of her car without feeling pain, she can begin driving again. For the majority of Dr. Feledy’s patients, if their car has power steering, they typically return to driving within seven days of their breast augmentation with form-stable cohesive-gel implants.
Three weeks following a breast augmentation with gummy bear implants, patients can create or reinstate an exercise program. Strenuous exercises may be permitted at this stage of recovery; however, patients need to share their exercise program with Belmont Plastic Surgery’s medical team. Patients should always speak with Dr. Feledy before they begin any exercise programs.
Once two weeks have gone by, patients can begin sleeping without the bra they received in post-op; however, patients must continue to wear the bra during the day. After six weeks, patients can usually remove the bra for good. At this point, patients can begin to wear their own brassieres. No bras that have underwires should be worn at this stage of the healing process.
Most patients state that they feel sore after their procedure. And the breasts are tight and itching. For the most part, patients do not experience a lot of pain after a breast augmentation using gummy bear breast implants.
If you have pets that roam the house or small children, see if someone you trust can help you by taking care of them for a few days.
Purchase several button-up tops: For the sake of comfort, make sure the tops you choose are a couple sizes larger than you would originally need.
Get yourself some healthy meals that are easy to prepare.
Make sure you have some healthy snacks around the house (e.g., fruit, raw vegetables, nuts, etc.)
Results of Your Breast Augmentation Using Gummy Bear Breast Implants
You will see results directly after your breast augmentation procedure; however, due to the inflammation that occurs following surgery, these are just preliminary results. Once the inflammation subsides, you will have a better idea as to the actual size increase achieved with your gummy bear breast implant enhancement procedure.
The results achieved during a breast augmentation with form-stable cohesive-gel implants will be evident for a long time; however, as the body ages, the skin on the breasts may begin to wrinkle and the implants may start to sag. If this happens later in life, many patients decide to have their implants adjusted. While these adjustments are available, they are not required.
Your Follow-Up Appointments at Belmont Plastic Surgery Near Washington, DC
During the initial six weeks following your surgery, you will need to return to Belmont Plastic Surgery once a week or every two weeks so that Dr. Feledy can evaluate your progress. After the initial six weeks have passed, you will return once a month or once every two months for an evaluation. This evaluation process continues for the next six months.
Cost of a Breast Augmentation with Gummy Bear Breast Implants Near Washington, DC
If you are interested in a breast augmentation procedure with form-stable cohesive-gel implants, the only way to know how much the procedure will cost is to schedule your complimentary consultation with Dr. Feledy.
Does Health Insurance Cover Breast Implant Surgery Near Washington, DC?
The only way the health insurance would cover this type of surgery is if the procedure is necessary to reconstruct the breasts following breast removal due to cancer or because of some kind of breast injury. Dr. Jules Feledy wants people in and around Washington, DC, to attain the physical characteristics they desire, which is why Belmont Plastic Surgery accepts CareCredit. Dr. Feledy’s staff is familiar with CareCredit and is happy to help patients apply.
If you are considering a breast augmentation, or any other type of plastic surgery, please contact Belmont Plastic Surgery by calling (301) 654-5666 to schedule a free initial consultation with Dr. Jules Feledy or contact the office online by clicking here. Dr. Feledy is an award-winning, board-certified, aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon who is dedicated to providing each of his patients with the one-on-one, personalized care that they deserve. He uses his experience, artistic vision and skill to help men and women attain the physical characteristics they desire. Belmont Plastic Surgery is located at 5530 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 818, Chevy Chase, Maryland.
- Breast Asymmetry
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation Revision
- Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- Breast Implant Removal
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction
- Capsular Contracture Treatment
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Tuberous Breasts Correction